Monday, January 25, 2010

Window Valance from Recycled Jeans





Here is a project using old jeans. I took several pairs of ripped or outgrown jeans and cut the legs off. I then cut away one of the side seams making panels that consisted of the front and back of the jeans. I laid out my panels making sure they were placed the way I wanted. I made sure that once completed I would have a belt loop very close to both ends of the valance. I sewed the panels wrong sides together so my seam would be visible using a generous seam allowance. Once all my panels were sewn together I stitched about an inch from the bottom edge. I fringed the seam allowance between the panels making several cuts into the seam allowance using care not to cut into the stitching. I did the same with the bottom edge. I sewed several patches on the valance using vintage fabric scraps. I washed and dried to get the seam allowance and bottom edge to fray. I hung the valance onto the rod using the belt loops. I made two valances for the window shown in the picture. These are really cute in a girl's room.

Recycle, Reimagine, Repurpose, Reuse...............

Keep On Junking
Nora

2 comments:

  1. I have a huge box of old denim ready to go--somewhere---I've used it off and on over the years for projects. I love your valance--denim is versatile! If I lived closer to you, I could give you my box of jeans! I just need to make room for more junk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Save your jeans... In the future I will be posting more projects using jeans..... I hear ya about needing more room for junk......

    Keep On Junking
    Nora

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments.